IND Immigration Services

You need an IND sponsor before you can be employed in the Netherlands. Your employer needs to be a so-called “referent” registered with the IND (the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service).


You can use Payingit International as your recognized IND sponsor. This allows you to get started faster, avoids delays to the project, and saves money.


Our Immigration Services take care of the administrative issues related to your contract, your visa for entry, your residence permit, and the applicable tax and payroll arrangements.

Who needs a Dutch work permit?

Citizens from certain countries are allowed to enter the Netherlands and are entitled to work here without a work permit. Citizens from:

  1. Countries within the European Union
  2. Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway

IND – Immigration and Naturalization Service

The IND is responsible for all types of applications from foreign nationals who want to live and work in the Netherlands. The IND is the only authority that issues work permits. The IND is responsible for seeing that all immigration applications have been properly and efficiently handled and the correct permits are issued to each applicant.


There are different kinds of applications from individuals of all nationalities as well as from companies that require authorization from the IND to hire an employee to work for them in the Netherlands. All those applications require different types of immigration permits such as:


There are various types of visa.  We refer you to the IND website (in English) for details of each type click for IND visa information. In short:

  1. a so-called MVV, an entry permit for you to stay more than 90 days;
  1. a visa for a temporary stay of less than 90 days. This is the normal tourist visa;
  1. a return visa that allows you to re-enter the Netherlands without a valid residence permit.

Residence permits

Depending on the type of work you are going to do and your nationality, different types of residence permit that allow you to stay in the Netherlands can be required. These can be valid for a short or a longer period of time.

Work permits

Foreign nationals may either:

  1. need a separate work permit in addition to their residence permit, called a TWV (tewerkstellingsvergunning) or,
  2. have their work authorization included in their residence permit, for example if you are a highly skilled worker, self-employed, or a freelancer.


One of the IND immigration requirements for foreign contractors to work in the Netherlands is that your future employer has to provide specifics about your position here. In some cases the IND will do a labor market test to see whether you earn a salary that reflects special skills and whether those skills are not already available from within the EU. Another requirement is that you hold a master’s degree (see next section).

What is a knowledge migrant/ highly skilled worker?

These are terms used in the Netherlands to refer to people who have education, specialist skills, and/or experience that are in high demand. The terms come from the Dutch words, so don’t be put off. It’s a great thing to be because it means your skills are valuable!


It is good to know whether you qualify as a knowledge migrant because there are multiple benefits associated with this status. A knowledge migrant, also known as a highly skilled worker, is considered valuable to the Dutch knowledge-based economy and he or she has a set of skills and experience that is scarce in the Dutch labor market. In most cases, though, knowledge migrants won’t have to prove that Dutch or EU workers can’t do their job; defining knowledge migrants by age and salary will be enough for most applications. There are two additional requirements:


  1. A minimum salary: Click here for minimum salary levels;
  1. A master’s degree from a recognized university.
    We refer you to the Nuffic website for list of recognized universities.

How can Payingit help with this process?

Payingit can apply for you to the IND if you are a highly skilled worker. If granted the status, you get a combination work permit and residence permit, two in one.


As a recognized sponsor, we do not have to submit all the necessary documents to the IND. But we do need to have them in our files. Here’s what we need from you:

  • Photocopy of your passport;
  • Signed antecedents certificate (statement regarding any criminal history);
  • Copy of education certificates/diplomas. They must be in English;
  • Résumé/CV;
  • Job description;
  • List of required job skills.


What if I want to move to a different job later?

Residence permits can be transferred and extended!  If your employer is your sponsor and you want to leave that job to take a new one, that can be arranged. If Payingit is working for your new employer, we will transfer your residence permit and, if necessary, extend it.

What are the benefits of knowledge migrant status?

There are some important benefits to being classified as a knowledge migrant, both for you and your employer. First of all, employers can apply on your behalf before you have even arrived in the Netherlands. You can be on the job within a couple of weeks of the date the application is filed, assuming everything is in order.


Second, as a knowledge migrant you can apply for certain tax benefits. The 30% tax ruling has a positive impact on your take-home pay — a very sizeable impact. Check out the impact of the 30% ruling here.

 Immigration services

What does Payingit handle in this process?

We take on all the administrative tasks for you and your employer necessary to get you here and settled into your job. In a few weeks from the moment the employment agreement is signed (figure on six weeks), we will have your invitation letter. That is what you use to get your entrance visa to be able to travel to the Netherlands.


What do the permits cost? Click to see the current IND fees.


IND fees will be charged to you or your employer.  Should consultancy be necessary, we will discuss the fees upfront with you, during our initial meetings/calls with you.